Quick Links

Useful Links

Horizon Academy Trust is an exempt charity regulated by the Secretary of State for Education.

company number 08411590

registered office is C/O Biggin Hill Primary School, Biggin Avenue, Bransholme, Hull, United Kingdom HU7 4RL.

Enter Trust

Cavendish Primary School


Admissions to school for Foundation Stage through to Year 6 is co-ordinated through Hull City Council.

Admissions Policy 2025-2026

Admissions Policy 2024-2025

Admissions Policy 2023-2024

Applications for Cavendish Primary School Primary School are processed by Hull City Council.

If your child is turning 5 between 1st September and 31st August you must apply for a primary school place. If you live in Hull you must apply to Hull City Council with your preferences of primary schools for your child, even if the school you want is not in Hull.

To make your application click 'Register for My School Portal'. Applications can be submitted or amended up to the deadline date. You will not be able to use the My School Portal to make an application after this date.

If you applied late or changed your application after the deadline Hull City Council may not be able to confirm your child’s allocated school until after everyone else. 

Hull City Council recommend that you give three preferences of school.

Hull City Council recommend that you use the My School Portal to make your application as you will receive confirmation of your school allocation by email in April. It will also mean that you get a receipt from Hull City Council to confirm that Hull City Council have received your application.  If you do not have internet access you can access a computer at Hull City Council customer contact centres or at any of  the public libraries.  If you do not have an email address you can request an application form by contacting 01482 300 300 or download the application from this page.

Common Application Form - Starting Primary

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan there is a separate admissions process. 

The Local Offer - Special Educational Needs (SEND) 

Equality Impact Assessment

There are no identified differential impacts on individuals with protected characteristics set out in the Equalities Act 2010: age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion and belief; sex; or sexual orientation.

Arrangements for the Admissions of Pupils with Disabilities

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 defines a disabled person as one who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a persons' ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Most children with Special Needs will not be disabled within the meaning of the Act.

Cavendish welcomes all children irrespective of any disability. The admission of pupils with disabilities is considered in the first instance in the same way as non-disabled pupils. Further considerations are made in the light of need and accessibility and the curriculum and daily approach to school life is amended accordingly. Steps are taken to prevent any pupils being treated less favourably than other pupils. Any parent or carer who wishes to admit a pupil with disabilities or special needs to Cavendish will meet with the SEND Leader so there is a smooth, easy transition into school life.

The school has made a number of modifications in order to assist pupils, staff and visitors with disabilities and are happy to show ay families our facilities if they with to make an appointment with our School Business Manager (Joanne Mulligan) on 01482 374675

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or Special Educational Needs please contact our SEND Leader Mr Peter Burletson on 01482 374675 who will provide you with further information and how we can support your child at Cavendish.

How School Places Are Allocated

Each school has a published number of places that are available for allocation. Please see the Admission policy

Where there are -

  • places available for all pupils that have applied then all pupils will qualify for a place
  • more applications for places than there are places available the oversubscription criteria are used to determine which pupils qualify for one of these places.

If your child -

  • qualifies for a place at only one of the schools named on the application form your child will be offered a place at the school
  • qualifies for a place at more than one of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at the school you ranked highest
  • does not qualify for a place at any of the schools named on your application form your child will be offered a place at your nearest school which has a place available

If you live outside of Hull and have applied for a Hull school your home authority will forward your application to Hull City Council and they will notify them if your child qualifies for a place at a Hull school. Your home authority will then confirm which school place your child should be given based on the order of your preferences.


If Hull City Council cannot offer a place at any of your preferred schools, Hull City Council will place your child on a waiting list for the school until the end of the autumn term and you will be offered the right of appeal. Hull City Council will allocate your child a place at the next nearest Hull school that has a vacancy.



Proof of Address

Hull City Council may ask you for proof of residence at the address you have given. A child’s home address is defined as the address at which the parent or carer and child and ordinarily resident at the time of application.

Hull City Council are committed to preventing fraudulent applications for school places.

You must - 

  • only use one address when applying for a school place
  • use the address at which the parent or carer and child are ordinarily resident
  • be held responsible for proving they are ordinarily resident at the address
  • provide additional information if requested before places can be confirmed

Hull City Council may - 

  • check addresses against other records Hull City Council hold, in accordance with our Data Protection Register
  • ask for suitable proof of residence, tenancy (if renting), or proof of completion (if buying)
  • request proof of council tax payment
  • invite you to discuss the address details on your application with the fraud investigation team

A school place may be withdrawn, even after the child has started school, if an application is found to be fraudulent or intentionally misleading.

If you change your home address you must provide evidence of your new address to the admissions team as soon as possible. 

Defer or Delaying Entry

Defer entry

You can request to defer entry until later in the academic year such as January or after Easter, but your child must be attending full time from the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday.  

You must still make your application for a school place before the closing date, even if you do not want your child to start school at the beginning of the autumn term.

Once you have received your offer letter you should discuss deferring entry with your child’s allocated school.

Delay entry

If your child is turning 5 between 1st April and 31st August you can request that admission into full time education is delayed until the following academic year.  

You will then need to decide whether you want your child to enter full time education in Y1 (child’s chronological year group) or Reception (education out of year group), you must still make your application before the deadline date.  

Once you have made your application you must contact the admissions team about your request to delay entry and Hull City Council will advise you on what happens next.